- 4 bulbs garlic, ends cut to expose cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs of choice (I prefer rosemary and thyme)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 8 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken, such as 2 thighs, 2 drummers and 4 breasts
- Crusty bread, to soak up juices
Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
Drizzle the garlic with EVOO, season with salt and pepper and wrap tightly in a foil pouch. Roast until light golden and just tender. Let cool to handle, then press the cloves into a bowl and mash with a knife.
Heat the vermouth and stock; whisk in the roasted garlic paste and herbs. Finish the sauce with butter and lemon juice. (As a variation, you can finish the sauce with Dijon mustard and tarragon!)
Drizzle the chicken with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 15 minutes, then pour the sauce over and roast for 20 minutes more. Serve with crusty bread alongside.
Serves 4 – 6. Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray.