Luscious lemon cake and whipped cream come together in a springtime lemon cake roll from Crazy for Crust.
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon curd (or pie filling would work too)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 10×15 jelly roll pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Beat eggs for 2 minutes, until frothy. Beat in sugar, lemon juice, and zest.
- Whisk together salt, baking powder, and flour, then stir into wet ingredients just until blended.
- Spread in prepared pan, using spoon or spatula to spread into all corners. Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- While cake is baking, place a clean kitchen towel on a large work surface. Sprinkle towel liberally with powdered sugar. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, turn it over on the kitchen towel and carefully remove the foil.
- Working at the short end, fold the edge of the towel over the cake. Roll tightly, rolling up the cake into the towel. Let cool completely while rolled, at least one hour.
- While the cake is chilling, make the filling. Beat the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form, then fold in the lemon curd. Chill until ready to use.
- When cake is cool, carefully unroll the towel. Spread the lemon whipped cream over the cake. Gently but tightly, re-roll the cake and wrap it in plastic wrap. Chill until it firms up a bit, at least one hour or overnight.
Recipe found at Crazy for Crust.