Just about everyone is gearing up for Valentine’s Day at the schools. Has your child made his/her Valentine card holder for school? Here’s one for a girl that is super cute and easy to do.
What You’ll Need
Empty Box (we used an oatmeal package box)
Embellishments (ribbon, shapes, stickers, hearts, etc.)
What You’ll Do
- Take your empty box and open it up. Pull out the side tabs and then close the top back again. We used one that had the tab closure.
- Round those side tabs out using your scissors.
- Punch a hole in the center near the top of each tab. You can do this now or after you have covered it with paper.
- Cover one side of the box with glue and press it down on the back side of your paper. Rub your hand around the inside of it and make sure it’s pressed down everywhere.
- It will dry quickly, so you can pick the box up and cut off the excess using your scissors.
- Be sure to not cut off the tab as it will help keep the box closed.
- Repeat step 4 for each side one at a time. Try using different paper on the sides from what you used on the front/back. Be sure to reopen the slot for where the tab can be inserted to close the box again. Like it would have before you covered it in paper.
- For embellishments, we used a fancy hole punch and made big circles to cover the edges. You can also use ribbon.
- We took the circles and folded them in half, put glue all over the backside and pressed it to the corners of the box to cover the edges. We did this until all the corners we wanted hidden were covered.
- Take a long piece of ribbon and slide it through the hole. Tie a knot on the side that faces the inside of the box.
- Pull the ribbon the opposite direction to pull the knot right to the hole.
- Bend the excess ribbon down inside the box and glue in place.
- Take the other end of your ribbon and repeat steps 10 – 12 to make your handle.
- Finish the purse off with more embellishments. We used stencils to mark a name and glued on hearts. You can use whatever you like.