Turkey Bolognese with Spaghetti Squash
- 3 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 large carrot, diced small
- 2 small celery stalks, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast or chicken breast
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (from a 28-ounce can)
- Red-pepper flakes (optional)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 cups roasted spaghetti squash
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium until crisp, 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and cook until vegetables are tender, 15 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil and turkey to skillet and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until almost cooked through, 5 minutes. Add bacon, vegetables, tomatoes, and pinch of red-pepper flakes, if using, to skillet and bring to a simmer; cook until turkey is cooked through and sauce is thickened, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over spaghetti squash and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Serves 4. Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart.