You have wonderful children, but there’s nothing like seeing them through the eyes of another person! Help them shine with this easy and quick table manners tips for kids.
Thanksgiving’s around the bend, so you may need to brush up your kid’s table manners or get them started before you sit down for the big meal. Start teaching manners at age 2, Emily Post says, and remember to make it fun for the best results. Here are Post’s top table manners for kids:
1. Come to the table with clean hands
2. Put your napkin in your lap first.
3. Start eating when everyone else does — or when given the OK to start.
4. Stay seated and sit up straight
5. Keep elbows (and other body parts!) off the table while eatin.
6. Chew with your mouth closed and don’t talk until you’ve swallowed.
7. Don’t make bad comments about the food.
8. Say, “Please pas the —” instead of reaching.
9. Chat with everyone at the table, but don’t interrupt.
10. Don’t make rude noises like burping and slurping.
11. Ask to be excused when finished.
12. Thank your host or whoever prepared the meal.
13. Clear your plate from the table and offer to help with the rest.