That silly leprechaun left his hat at my house and I wanted to share it with you. You can see, it is bigger than you would think … for a creature of his size.
You can make one for yourself, too. This fun little craft is sure to get some giggles out of your little one.
What you need:
• Empty cylinder of some sort (we are using a mac and cheese microwave dinner container, but a baby formula can and oatmeal container works great, too)
• Paint: green, black
• Construction Paper: green and yellow
• String, yarn or ribbon
• Hole punch
What you do:
- Paint the container green and let dry.
- Cut little shamrocks out of different colors of green construction paper while the first coat of paint is drying. These are to decorate your hat.
- Apply a second coat of green to the hat and let dry.
- Cut a square out of the yellow construction paper while the second coat of paint is drying. This square should be slightly bigger than the width of the black strip.
- Cut out the middle of the yellow square to make your buckle.
- Paint a black strip around the bottom of the container where the opening is.
- Punch a hole in both sides of the container for your string.
- Take one piece of string and slide it through the hole and tie it. Do this to the other side, too.
- Glue the buckle to the middle of the black strip between the two holes.
- Glue on your shamrocks for decoration.
Now you have a Leprechaun’s hat for your family to wear and enjoy. Although I must admit, spray painting the container outside takes less time than painting it because the type of container you use may not let the paint stick very well.