Get started on your homemade Halloween decor with this cute little bat craft for kids. It is super easy and you can make a ton of them pretty quickly — aside from the drying time for the styrofoam balls.
What You Need
Black or Purple Spray Paint or Craft Paint
Purple Glitter Scrapbooking Paper (found at most scrapbooking stores). Or, you can make your own with black poster board, purple glitter and glue.
Several sticks from around the yard
Tall Plastic Cup
What You Do
- Take one of your sticks you found in your yard and stick a styrofoam ball on the end of it. This will help you hold the ball in place as you paint it.
- Cover the entire styrofoam ball with your black paint and then stick it in the tall plastic cup to dry.
- Grab another stick and another styrofoam ball and do the same. Continue to do this until all your balls are painted. Let them dry completely.
- Take your glitter paper and cut out wings. It is OK if they are different shapes and sizes, it will give your little bats a silly and fun look.
- Take a wing and carefully stick it into the styrofoam ball.
- Glue on a couple googly eyes.
- Take a long piece of fishing line and tie one end into a knot.
- Take a push pin and stick it through the knot and then push it into the top of the bat. This will be how your little bat hangs. You may also want to add a touch of glue under the push pin just to help keep it in place.
Once they are all done and dry, you can hang them anywhere. On the ceiling, from light pull strings, in the trees … everywhere!