You’ve given in and gotten your child a smartphone, but hold on a sec. Don’t just give it to him and walk away. Safe smartphone set up for kids is important. Here’s what you should do:
• Choose a password together so you can both access the device.
• Set up his Contacts with key names and numbers, so your child has them at their fingertips
• Download and set up the apps you’re willing to let your child use and discuss the rules for future downloads.
• Establish — and put in writing — family ground rules for phone use, including times when it is off limits to use.
• Talk with your child about privacy, content and the consequences of misusing his new phone.
• Install web protection on the device — such as K9 Web Protection — so your child won’t have access to unsafe content.