The Whole Foods’ web site offers many soup recipes, but we like this one because it’s easy enough to make into a vegetarian version by substituting vegetable broth, and button mushrooms or tofu for the chicken.
Chicken and Brown Rice Soup
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 small chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (or shredded)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch kale or collard greens, stems removed and leaves sliced
In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring 1/2 cup broth to a simmer. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook about 8 minutes or until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 7 1/2 cups broth, water, rice, chicken and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook about 35 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. Remove bay leaf and stir in kale. Continue cooking just until kale is wilted and tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods Market.