Makes 8 servings.
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- Drain oranges, reserving juice; set oranges aside. In a Dutch over, brown beef and onion in oil; drain. Stir in the water, soy sauce, ginger and reserved juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add the celery, green pepper and water chestnuts. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in reserved oranges. Serve with rice.