With speech lessons, physical therapy and behavior training several hours daily, he’s now affectionate, social, talking, walking and in preschool.
In honor of Autism Awareness Month, a here are ten important things we now know that offer parents insight:
1. High-quality early intervention for autism spectrum disorder (ASD) can improve brain function.
4. Many younger siblings of children with ASD have developmental delays and symptoms that fall short of an autism diagnosis, but still warrant early intervention.
6. Prenatal folic acid, taken in the weeks before and after a woman becomes pregnant, may reduce the risk of autism.
7. One of the best ways to promote social skills in grade-schoolers with autism is to teach their classmates how to befriend a person with developmental disabilities.
10. Investors and product developers respond to a call to develop products and services to address the unmet needs of the autism community.