Hippo Cove at Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden has a new inhabitant!!!
Welcome to Cincinnati, Tucker! The 18-year-old, 4,200-pound male hippo has been called “huge, dark and handsome!” by zookeepers. The keepers have their fingers crossed that 21-year-old Bibi agrees, as the Cincinnati Zoo would love to have more baby hippos in the future. Tucker, Bibi and fan favorite Fiona will slowly be introduced together, hoping for a smooth transition and happy hippos.
10 Cool Hippo Facts!
- Hippos can hold their breath underwater for up to five minutes!
- While Tucker weighs 4200 pounds, he is an herbivore and enjoys eating melons, beets, squash, hay and grain!
- Fiona was born on January 24, 2017 and only weighed 29 pounds! She now weighs over a whopping 1500 pounds!
- Cincinnati Zoo’s hippos love enrichment items like frozen treats and toys, too!
- Tucker, Bibi and Fiona love healthy treats including tasty pumpkins during October!
- A group of hippos is called a “bloat”
- The fish in Hippo Cove are Tilapia! They enjoy dining on hippo dung and the hippos’ dead skin cells. Thank you to the tilapia for the cleaner tank and hippo spa services!
- Hippos are semiaquatic, meaning they enjoy time in the water and on land.
- Hear that? Hippos are surprisingly loud with vocalizations as loud as 115 decibels- that is about the same volume as being 15 feet away from the speakers at a concert!
- You can A.D.O.P.T. a Hippo and help provide their food, housing, enrichment and more! Visit cincinnatizoo.org/support/
adoptfor more information.
But wait, there is more!!!
Did you know you can grab a membership at 10% off for the rest of the month for year round fun at the zoo? All membership levels are now 10% off! It’s a great time to join the zoo family! All memberships include daily admission and parking, discounts on food and retail, discounts to other zoos across the country, admission to the PNC Festival of Lights and more!
Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is located at 3400 Vine Street in Cincinnati, Oh
Call 513-281-4700 or visit cincinnatizoo.org for more information.