Here are 10 easy ways to get kids moving even when the weather isn’t agreeing!
It’s that time of the year where the weather is unpredictable! Some days its warm-ish, some days it’s bitter cold, it’s wet, it’s dry, it’s hard to keep track. It’s also hard to get kids outside and moving, so we made it easier for you with our top picks:
Visit a Trampoline Park
Kids love running and jumping at trampoline parks, and there are plenty to choose from:
- Sky Zone – skyzone.com/cincinnati
- Adrenaline – adrenalinecenters.com
- Lazer Kraze – lazerkraze.com/index.html
- Get Air – getairsports.com
Have a “Snow Ball” Fight
Ball up your socks for the ultimate “snowball” fight! Who needs snow? You can get creative and build snow forts, too! Get ready to dip, dodge and duck those “snowballs!”
Sign Em’ Up for Gymnastics
Kids love recreational gymnastics! Let paid instructors teach your child gymnastics skills while getting their bodies moving, or search local gymnastics studios for open gyms. Many places offer the first class free to see if your child likes it.
- The Little Gym – thelittlegym.com
- Perfection – perfectiongymnastics.com
- Cincinnati Gymnastics Academy – cincinnatigymnastics.com
- West Chester Academy – westchesteracademy.com
- Kids First Sports Center – kidsfirstsports.com
Sign Up for Swim Lessons
The winter is a great time to ensure your kids swim skills are ready to go for pool season. While they are having fun in the pool during their lesson, they are also building up their strength and endurance.
- Bear Paddle – bearpaddle.com
- Goldfish Swim School – goldfishswimschool.com
- Kids First – kidsfirstsports.com
- Local YMCA – myy.org
Visit an Indoor Playground!
There are plenty of fun places to play indoors! Invite a friend or two and let the kids play while spending time with their parents … adults need play dates, too!
- Cincinnati Children’s Discovery Center – Located on the 2nd floor of the Foundry at Liberty Center.
Jump & Jacks – jumpandjacks.com
Pogo Play – gopogoplay.com
Red Balloon (New location opening soon!) – redballooncafe.com
Make an Obstacle Course
Move your furniture around and make an obstacle course with hula hoops, pillows and more! Get creative! See how quickly your child can make it through the course, then see if they then can beat their time!
Move with Video Games
Turn on the TV or use your computer to play kid-friendly videos to get kids moving. Here are a few that many teachers use:
- Go Noodle – gonoodle.com
- Cosmic Kids Yoga – youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
- Fit4Schools – fit.sanfordhealth.org
Head to the CMC
Spend the day at The Cincinnati Museum Center! There are multiple fun things for kids to do and zip between. You can easily spend an entire day there learning and playing! cincymuseum.org
No Snow, No Problem!
You CAN enjoy a good snow this winter by spending the day at Perfect North Slopes! Try skiing, snowboarding and tubing while having fun as a family! perfectnorth.com
Just Play Outside!
FINALLY, just bundle up and play outside! Hit the Cincinnati Zoo, Summit Park, a local playground or even your own backyard! You don’t have to go somewhere or spend money to get active with the kids. There are tons of free opportunities right outside your doorstep.