Cincinnati Family Magazine | Northern Kentucky Magazine
Writer Guidelines – 2011
Susan Day: Editor-in-Chief
Kiera Ashford: Managing Editor
• Articles should be geared towards parents and families with children ages 0 – 14.
• Stylistically, we adhere to the Associated Press Stylebook. Features must be non-taxing and easy to read. No technical writing, please. Information should be clear and concise. Please organize sections of material with subheads. Include resource sidebars at all times.
• Stories must be locally sourced with at least two expert voices (more sources are encouraged). National parenting experts/authors/professionals from renowned institutions are acceptable in addition to the local voices.
• Features should be between 800 – 1,200 words. Please include a sidebar or break-out item.
• For assigned features (different from submissions) assignment letters are provided. It is the writer’s responsibility to follow an agreed upon assignment and to contact the Editor-in-Chief should there be questions/discrepancies/delays in procuring interviews, etc.
• Assigned writers are contracted for full rights (including Internet) in the terms of a standard “Work for Hire” agreement. Writer fees are based upon assignments achieved. Fees are set at the time of article assignment and are based upon topic assigned. Freelance submissions are done on a case-by-case basis. Reprints receive $35 and are only accepted if the article originated outside of Middle Tennessee.
• Finished, pre-copy edited work must be submitted ON or BEFORE set deadline via email to the editor.
• Assignments will be edited by the Editor-in-Chief initially, then by the Managing Editor. If additional work is required from any editor, the assigned writer will be contacted by the Editor-in-Chief to rework the assignment.
• Payment for accepted stories is made on the first day of the month following the month’s publication in which the assignment appears i.e., 30 days.
• Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.