The lights are on after school this month, thanks to Covington Partners, a nonprofit organization dedicated to offering a variety of mentoring, family strengthening and physical/mental health programs to Covington children. The group is hosting a series of events open to the families and community members of Covington, as part of a nationwide rally known as Lights On Afterschool. Covington Partners staff will call for expanding afterschool opportunities to ensure every child who needs a program has access to one, and discuss the harm and negative impact that results from budget cuts being made to afterschool programming.
The events will highlight three significant contributions that afterschool programs make to Covington; keeping kids safe and healthy, inspiring them to learn, and relieving working parents of worries about their children’s activities during the afternoon hours. Dates and times for each event are listed below:
- Wildcat Club Open House on Oct. 15 from 4 – 6 p.m. at Glenn O. Swing Elementary (501 W. 19th St.)
- Fall Festival and Haunted House on Oct. 17 from 5 – 7 p.m. at Glenn O. Swing Elementary
- Pumpkin Carving Night on Oct. 16 from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. at Ninth District Elementary (2800 Indiana Ave.)
- Holmes Howl-O-Ween Bash on Oct. 22 from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. at Holmes Campus (2500 Madison Ave.)
- Homemade Salsa Making Night on Oct. 16 from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. at John G. Carlisle Elementary (910 Holman Ave.)
For more information, visit mycovingtonpartners.org.