Chalkboards are all the rave as of late. You see them just about everywhere, even weddings! I, much like everyone else, love the look of it. So, we decided to make our own sandwich sign as a chalkboard to use at her party. We also have it readily available for when the kids want to color on a chalkboard.
NOTE: Be sure that the screws are not longer than the width of your boards.
What You’ll Do
- Set the boards down on the ground end to end evenly.
- Place your hinge right along the gap between the two ends and screw it into place.
- Stand your boards up and set them to the width that you would want them to separate at the bottom.
- Measure a length of chain to fit that width at about midway down the side of the boards.
- Screw one end of the chain in place on one side to one board.
- Screw the other end of the same chain to the same place but on the other board’s side facing that side.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to the other side of the boards. This will prevent the sandwich board from collapsing flat on the ground.
- Now paint the entire thing with your chalkboard paint. We got the can of paint and not the spray paint. We tried the spray paint chalkboard paint, but that was an EPIC FAIL! I highly recommend NOT using spray paint chalkboard paint.
- Allow to dry.
- Once dry, write all over it with chalk and then rub it in and wipe it off. This will help condition it.