Yummy tarts make a wholesome treat for your kids — and puts that leftover peanut butter and pie crust to work!
Peanut Butter & Jelly “Pop Tarts” (Makes 12 Tarts)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roll the pie crust 1/4 inch thick and cut into rectangles, about 2×3 inches.
3. Place one rectangle on a lightly floured work surface, top with 1 tsp each of the peanut butter and preserves in the very center. **
4. Lightly dip your index finger into a cup of water and “brush” the border of the dough around the pb&j with the water (this will allow the two sides of the rectangle to adhere to one another).
5. Top with another rectangular piece of pie dough. Take the tines of a fork and gently press down along the edges to adhere (making sure the mixture stays inside the tart).***
6. Place the tarts on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes or until golden.
* You can use prepared Pie Crusts too such as Pillsbury or your favorite brand
** You can also combine the peanut butter and preserves in a bowl and place 2 teaspoons of the mixture inside the tart.
** To Freeze: place tarts on a cookie sheet and freeze for one hour. Remove, place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat follow steps 6-7, adding an extra 2 minutes to the baking time.